3.1 When UK citizens become third-country nationals will they need permission to work?
UK citizens with a Registration Certificate for EEA Nationals or a Permanent Residence Card prior to the date of Brexit will not need to apply for a work permit.
In any other cases, UK citizens have to apply for a work permit, unless they can rely on an exemption such as:
- family members of an EU national or a non-EU national who has authorisation to work (subject to conditions);
- they work as a head of the branch and representative office of the third country company;
- holders of an EU Blue Card.
3.2 If permission to work is needed, do any quotas apply for employing third-country nationals?
Yes, the highest number of third-country nationals that can be employed in Hungary is laid down in a ministerial decree [19/2015. (VII.3.) NMG decree, Section 2 (2)]. It provides that the number of third-country nationals employed simultaneously with a work permit in Hungary may not exceed the monthly average of employment demand notified in the year preceding the year in question (i.e. in 2018: 55.000 employees).
3.3 If permission to work is needed, as of when will it be needed?
- from 1 November 2019 in the event of no deal;
- from 1 January 2021 (for new arrivals) if the Withdrawal Agreement is ratified before 30 March 2019.
3.4 If permission to work is needed, what are the most common categories?
The most common categories are the followings:
- leading personnel;
- trainees (subject to conditions);
- highly qualified and special profiles (subject to conditions);
- certain medium-skilled profiles (only for shortage professions listed in a dynamic shortage profession list);
- profiles that fall into a residual category subject to a labour market test;
- seasonal permits for works not exceeding six months (can be extended by a maximum of six additional months);
- work permit for assignment purposes.
3.5 If permission to work or stay is needed, how long does the procedure take?
The procedure may take up to 70 days.
3.6 If permission to work and stay is needed, what Government fees would be due for this permission?
EUR 60 / HUF 18,000
(Additional costs e.g. translation, photographs should be taken into consideration).